Information: U.S. v. Samsung SDI Company, Ltd.
FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCISCO DIVISION
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:
1. SAMSUNG SDI COMPANY, LTD. ("defendant") is made the defendant on the charge stated below.
2. From at least as early as January 1997, until at least as late as March 2006, the defendant and its coconspirators entered into and engaged in a combination and conspiracy in the United States and elsewhere to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing prices, reducing output, and allocating market shares of color display tubes ("CDTs"). The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and its coconspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and its coconspirators, the substantial terms of which were to agree to fix prices, reduce output, and allocate market shares of CDTs.
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and its coconspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
5. SAMSUNG SDI COMPANY, LTD. is a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the Republic of Korea. During the period covered by this Information, SAMSUNG SDI COMPANY, LTD. engaged in the business of producing and selling CDTs to customers in the United States and elsewhere.
6. Various corporations and individuals, not made defendants in this Information, participated as coconspirators in the offense charged in this Information and performed acts and made statements in furtherance of it.
7. Whenever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of any corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, employees, agents, or other representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.
8. CDTs are a type of cathode ray tube. Cathode ray tubes consist of evacuated glass envelopes that contain an electron gun and a phosphorescent screen. When electrons strike the screen, light is emitted, creating an image on the screen. CDTs are the specialized cathode ray tubes manufactured for use in computer monitors and other products with similar technological requirements.
9. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and its coconspirators sold and distributed CDTs in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the defendant and its coconspirators produced CDTs.
10. The business activities of the defendant and its coconspirators that are the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.
11. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, in the Northern District of California, within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.