The Board of Immigration Appeals occasionally invites interested members of the public to file amicus curiae briefs addressing issues of significance. The Board solicits amicus curiae briefs from the public through the EOIR Twitter feed, EOIR’s Facebook page, and Amicus Email Updates. Information on how to sign up for Amicus Email Updates is provided below.
The following links are to open and archived Amicus Invitations—each containing a short description of the issues involved and instructions on how to file an amicus brief with the Board.
*Archived Amicus Invitations are posted for informational purposes only. The Board is no longer accepting Requests to Appear as Amicus or amicus briefs for these invitations.
- Amicus Invitation No. 18-02-14 (Removability & Aggravated Felony Definitions), Due March 16, 2018
- Attorney General Amicus Invitation Matter of CASTRO-TUM (Authority to Administratively Close Immigration Proceedings), Due February 16, 2018
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-10-17 (Exception to the 1-Year Asylum Bar), Due November 16, 2017 - Withdrawn
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-06-12 (Modified Categorical Approach and CIMTs), Due July 12, 2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-01-05 (Misprision of a Felony ), Due 02-06-2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-01-09 (Material Support Bar), Due 02-08-2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-01-12 (Marriage Fraud in Visa Petitions), Due 02-13-2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-01-26 (Attempt to Transport a Narcotic Drug for Sale), Due 02-27-2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 17-02-02 (Protected Class of Victims), Due 03-06-2017
- Amicus Invitation No. 16-09-19 (“Wave Through” Entry), Due 10-19-2016
- Amicus Invitation No. 16-08-08 (Duress Exception to Persecutor Bar), Due 09-07-2016
- Amicus Invitation No. 16-06-21 (Commitment to Mental Health Facility), Due 07-21-2016
- Amicus Invitation No. 16-06-09 (definition of minor for 1-year bar), Due 07-11-2016
- Amicus Invitation No. 16-03-17 (U Nonimmigrant Status), Due 04-18-2016
- Amicus Invitation Reset No. 16-01-11 (Family as a Particular Social Group), Due 03-07-2016
- Amicus Invitation No. 15-11-10 (Section 101(a)(43)(M)(i) of the Act), Due 12-10-2015
- Amicus Invitation No. 15-09-28 (“ordinary case” methodology), Due 10-28-2015
- Amicus Invitation No. 15-08-26 (Jeune v. Att'y Gen. of the U.S., 476 F.3d 199 (3d Cir. 2007)), Due 09-25-2015
- Amicus Invitation No. 15-08-04 (crime involving moral turpitude), Due 08-25-15
Sign Up to Receive Amicus Email Updates
EOIR is pleased to offer an e-mail subscription service through GovDelivery. This free service notifies you by e-mail when invitations to file amicus briefs are posted on this page. To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please click here to subscribe.