Skip to main content
Press Release

Abington Man Sentenced for Robbing Three Banks

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts

BOSTON – An Abington man was sentenced today in federal court in Boston for robbing three Greater Boston-area banks.

John Soule, 53, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge F. Dennis Saylor IV to 42 months in prison, three years of supervised release, and ordered to pay approximately $58,551 in restitution. In July 2018, Soule pleaded guilty to three counts of bank robbery. Soule was arrested and charged in September 2017 and has been detained since.

On July 12, 2017, Soule entered a branch of the Eastern Bank in Cambridge, where he jumped over the teller’s counter, stated that he had a knife, and demanded the bank’s money. The tellers gave Soule money from their drawers, and Soule exited the bank with $12,940.

On Aug. 9, 2017, Soule entered a branch of the Webster Bank on Franklin Street in Boston and announced a robbery. He jumped over the tellers’ counter and demanded the bank’s money. The tellers gave Soule money from their drawers, and he exited the bank with $3,137.

One month later, on Sep. 8, 2017, Soule entered a branch of the Rockland Trust on Quincy Street in Quincy, where he approached a teller demanding money and then jumped over the counter and entered the bank’s vault. A post-robbery audit determined that Soule stole over $42,000 during the robbery.

Video surveillance cameras outside of all three banks captured images of Soule on a mountain bike moments before and immediately after the robberies.

Throughout the investigation, law enforcement received various tips and information that Soule was the person responsible. On Sept. 29, 2017, Soule was located and arrested with over $8,000 in his possession. Soule later admitted his involvement in the robberies.

United States Attorney Andrew E. Lelling and Harold H. Shaw, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Field Division, made the announcement today. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth G. Shine of Lelling’s Major Crimes Unit prosecuted the case.

Updated October 19, 2018

Violent Crime