Skip to main content
Press Release

Leader Of Cape Cod Cocaine And Heroin Ring Sentenced To 25 Years In Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts
RSS feed

BOSTON - One of the leaders of a drug trafficking organization operating on Cape Cod was sentenced yesterday to serve 25 years in federal prison.

Yesterday United States District Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton, sentenced Russell Rose, a/k/a “Double R,” a/k/a Baby Russell, 31, of Randolph, to 25 years in federal prison. Rose, along with Kelvin Frye, a/k/a “Kelvin Andrews,” a/k/a “Brian Wright,” a/k/a “Cool Kel,” a/k/a “Cool Cal,” 29, of East Wareham, was convicted in December by a jury of participating in a longstanding, entrenched conspiracy to distribute cocaine and heroin in Falmouth, Mashpee, Bourne, and surrounding areas on Cape Cod.

Rose and Frye were the leaders of an organization responsible for distributing large quantities of cocaine and heroin on Cape Cod between 2008 and 2010. Fifteen members of the conspiracy were convicted in federal court; a sixteenth member of the conspiracy died while awaiting trial.

Law enforcement agents began investigating members of the organization in March 2008, during which time there were court authorized interceptions of seven cellular telephones used by alleged members of the organization. Based upon evidence obtained during hundreds of intercepted calls, agents determined that Rose and Frye were the leaders of the organization, that they had various sources of supply for cocaine and heroin, and that they directed others to distribute the drugs for them. During the course of the investigation, approximately two kilograms of cocaine and more than 300 grams of heroin were seized.

In 2002, Rose was sentenced to 100 months in federal prison for drug trafficking. He was released from federal prison in March 2008, and immediately resumed distributing cocaine. Rose began arranging to purchase kilograms of cocaine that he, Frye, and others then processed and distributed.

Rose was responsible for the distribution of at least nine kilograms of cocaine, along with smaller quantities of heroin and marijuana. Evidence at trial further established that other members of the conspiracy were responsible for receiving and distributing even more cocaine and heroin, and that members of the conspiracy had attempted to smuggle heroin to Anthony Vaughn, a member of the organization who was serving a federal prison in Pollack, Louisiana. In addition, the organization had been provided access to empty units at a vacation resort in Falmouth, where they stored and processed drugs, and that Rose had stored various firearms above the resort’s management offices.

To date, four other members of the conspiracy have been sentenced: Omay Ford, a/k/a “Papa Doc,” 42, of Boston, was sentenced to 180 months; Adalberto Graciani, a/k/a “Berto,” 39, of Marstons Mills, was sentenced to 120 months; Kyle Hicks, a/k/a “Sleepy,” a/k/a “Sleep,” 31, of Marstons Mills was sentenced to 120 months; and Jeremy Wobecky, 38, of Falmouth, was sentenced to 44 months.

United States Attorney Carmen Ortiz; Richard DesLauriers, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation - Boston Field Office; Kevin Niland, Inspector in Charge of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service; John J. Arvantis, Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration - Boston Field Division; William P. Offord, Special Agent in Charge of the Internal Revenue Service’s Criminal Investigation in Boston; Colonel Timothy P. Alben, Superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police; Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe; Chief Edward Dunne of the Falmouth Police Department; Chief Rodney Collins of the Mashpee Police Department; Chief Dennis R. Woodside of the Bourne Police Department; Chief Brian E. Stewart of the Scituate Police Department; Chief Russell W. Jenkins of the Braintree Police Department; Chief Paul MacDonald of the Barnstable Police Department; Sheriff James M. Cummings of Barnstable County; and Sheriff Joseph D. McDonald, Jr. of Plymouth County made the announcement today.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys David J. D’Addio and James E. Arnold of Ortiz’s Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force.

Updated December 15, 2014