Skip to main content
Press Release

Maine Man Pleads Guilty to Resisting Federal Officer

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts
Defendant struck Deputy U.S. Marshal in face while awaiting hearing on federal drug charges

BOSTON – A Maine man pleaded guilty today in federal court in Springfield to resisting a federal officer.

Thomas G. Walker, 43, of Pemaquid, Maine, pleaded guilty to one count of resisting a federal officer. U.S. District Court Judge Mark G. Mastroianni scheduled sentencing for Dec. 12, 2018. Walker has been in custody since his arrest on June 30, 2017, for his role in a federal drug conspiracy.

On July 24, 2017, Walker was brought to federal court in Worcester for a hearing to determine whether he should be held in custody while facing a pending drug charge. Walker was brought into the courtroom by two Deputy U.S. Marshals (“Marshals”) and a corrections officer. Walker’s handcuffs were removed, and he was seated next to his attorneys. While waiting for the judge, Walker turned around and began speaking with a relative in the courtroom gallery. The Marshals directed Walker to face forward and stop speaking with anyone in the gallery. Walker stood up and challenged the Marshals, saying: “Who the ** are you?” and “What the ** are you going to do to me?” The Marshals and the corrections officer approached Walker to restrain him. Walker swung at one of the Marshals and missed. He swung a second time with his open hand and hit the Marshal in the face. Walker’s resistance resulted in all four individuals going down to the floor in a scuffle. Eventually the Marshals, the officer, and a courtroom security officer were able to gain control of Walker, handcuff him, and remove him from the courtroom.

The charge provides for a sentence of no greater than eight years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a fine of up to $250,000. Sentences are imposed by a federal district court judge based on the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

United States Attorney Andrew E. Lelling; U.S. Marshal John Gibbons for the District of Massachusetts; and Harold H. Shaw, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Field Division, made the announcement today. Assistant U.S. Attorney Christine Wichers of Lelling’s Major Crimes Unit is prosecuting the case.

Updated June 1, 2018