Skip to main content
Press Release

Maine Recidivist Sex Offender Sentenced for Failing to Register as a Sex Offender

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts
Defendant previously convicted of same offense three times in state court

BOSTON – A recidivist sex offender was sentenced yesterday in federal court in Boston for failing to register as a sex offender when he moved from Haverhill, Mass. to Fryeburg, Maine.

Frank Boyd, 54, was sentenced by U.S. Senior District Court Judge William G. Young to two years in prison and five years of supervised release. On March 27, 2023, Boyd pleaded guilty to one count of failure to register as a sex offender, in violation of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act. Boyd was charged by complaint in August 2022 and subsequently indicted by a federal grand jury in September 2022. He has remained in state custody on unrelated charges since his arrest in July 2022. 

Boyd was a Level 3 Sex Offender who had been convicted of sex offenses against children in 2001 and 2009 and was required to register as a sex offender and update his registration any time he moved or changed employment.  
In 2020, Boyd registered and listed a Haverhill, Mass. address as his residence. On or around March 23, 2021, it was determined that Boyd was no longer living at the Haverhill residence he had listed on his registration form and was found to have moved to Fryeburg, Maine. He did not register as a sex offender in Maine nor update his sex offender registration in Massachusetts at any point prior to his arrest on state charges on July 27, 2022. Boyd has three prior state court convictions in 2006, 2008 and 2015 for failure to register as a sex offender.

Acting United States Attorney Joshua S. Levy; Brian Kyes, U.S. Marshal for the District of Massachusetts; and Kevin Neal, Acting U.S. Marshal for the District of Maine made the announcement today. The Haverhill and Fryeburg (Maine) Police Departments provided valuable assistance. Assistant U.S. Attorney Elianna J. Nuzum of the Major Crimes Unit prosecuted the case.

Updated October 25, 2023