Skip to main content
Press Release

Repeat Felon Sentenced to Over Eight Years in Prison for Armed Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts
Defendant robbed two businesses in one day

BOSTON – A previously convicted felon was sentenced yesterday in connection with the armed robberies of two Boston and Brockton businesses. At the time of the offenses, defendant had pending state charges for armed and unarmed robbery and three outstanding warrants. 

Fernando Bost, 32, of Boston, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Allison D. Burroughs to eight and half years in prison followed by three years of supervised release. In December 2023, Bost pleaded guilty to two counts of Hobbs Act robbery and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. 

“This defendant has wreaked havoc in our community for over a decade, committing a string of armed robberies against innocent victims. Keeping our communities safe from this type of violence is at the core of DOJ’s mission,” said Acting United States Attorney Joshua S. Levy. 

“Fernando Bost is a hardened and chronic offender who targeted two businesses in Boston and Brockton in one day, threatening his victims at gunpoint to force them into compliance,” said Jodi Cohen, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Boston Division. “Getting violent criminals like this off the street is a priority for FBI Boston’s Violent Crimes Task Force and our local law enforcement partners, as we all work our hardest to keep the public safe."

Bost is prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition due to two previous armed robbery convictions from 2012 and 2017. Additionally, at the time of the federal offense, Bost had several pending state charges for armed and unarmed robbery as well as three outstanding warrants issued in three different courts for armed robbery, assault with a dangerous weapon, breaking and entering during the daytime with intent to commit a felony, receiving stolen property and shoplifting.

On March 29, 2023 at approximately 11:05 p.m., a man entered RJ Smoke and Convenience Store in Dorchester, held the victim cashier at gunpoint and took cash before fleeing the store. While investigating the robbery, it was determined that a 7-Eleven in Brockton was robbed approximately 40 minutes earlier that same day. Surveillance footage depicts the robber wearing the same unique clothing worn in the RJ Smoke and Convenience store robbery in Dorchester. 

A subsequent investigation identified a Kia Sorento captured in the vicinity of both businesses prior to the robberies and leaving after each robbery took place. Records determined that the vehicle had been rented to Bost’s girlfriend. It was also determined that Bost’s EBT card had been used at a gas station and a Target the same day of the robberies. Surveillance footage obtained from those locations show Bost wearing clothing identical to that worn by the robber. 

Bost was arrested during a traffic stop near Springfield where a loaded Glock 43x with a high-capacity magazine was recovered in his sweatshirt. 

Acting U.S. Attorney Levy and FBI SAC Cohen made the announcement. Valuable assistance was provided by the Massachusetts State Police; Hamden County District Attorney’s Office; and the Boston and Brockton Police Departments. Assistant U.S. Attorney Luke A. Goldworm of the Major Crimes Unit prosecuted the case. 

Updated March 8, 2024

Topic
Violent Crime