Dockets: 21-MJ-05196-JGD; 21-MJ-05202-JGD
Nineteen Brazilian nationals have been charged via criminal complaints with engaging in a nationwide conspiracy to set up fraudulent driver accounts with multiple rideshare and delivery service companies using stolen identities, and to rent or sell those accounts to drivers who might not otherwise qualify to drive for those services.
The alleged scheme also involved using the fraudulent accounts to exploit the company’s referral bonus programs, and using automated “bots” and GPS spoofing technology to increase the income earned from the fraudulent driver accounts. The government estimates that more than 2,000 victims’ identities were stolen and used as part of the scheme.
If you would like to determine whether a 1099 has been issued to your name, you may utilize the IRS webpage, https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them, to order a Wage and Income Transcript of documents that identify whether a 1099 has been issued in your name. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. If you find that a 1099 is issued in your name fraudulently and would like to determine if it is associated with the case, please send an email to USAMA.VictimAssistance@usdoj.gov and provide your name and best contact information and a member of the Victim Witness Unit will contact you regarding this case.
Information on court proceedings will be updated on this page as it becomes available to the public.
May 7, 2021 - Defendants arrested today will make an initial appearance virtually in the district where they were arrested. If you wish to view the proceedings occurring in the U.S. District Court of the District of Massachusetts, you must sign up using the link below.
May 5, 2021 – Wemerson Dutra Aguiar was detained following his arrest and initial appearance in the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Illinois.
The United States Attorney’s Office would like to advise that you are not required to allow a delivery person to take a picture of your identification if you have alcohol delivered. While delivery drivers may be required to verify your age, it is not a requirement that they take a photograph of the front of your license or identification in order for you to receive the delivery. Please be sure to review the individual store’s policies for delivery and contact the company you ordered from if you believe that your delivery did not occur as you expected.
You can learn more about ways to prevent identity theft at identitytheft.gov.
The following defendants were arrested and charged by criminal complaint with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud:
- Wemerson Dutra Aguiar, 25, a Brazilian national formerly residing in Lynn and Woburn, Mass.;
- Priscila Barbosa, 35, a Brazilian national residing in Saugus, Mass.;
- Edvaldo Rocha Cabral, 41, a Brazilian national residing in Lowell, Mass.;
- Clovis Kardekis Placido, 37, a Brazilian national residing in Citrus Heights, Cali.;
- Guilherme Da Silveira, 28, a Brazilian national residing in Revere, Mass.;
- Flavio Candido Da Silva, 35, a Brazilian national residing in Revere, Mass.;
- Altacyr Dias Guimaraes Neto, 34, a Brazilian national residing in Kissimmee, Fla.;
- Bruno Proencio Abreu, 28, a Brazilian national residing in Saugus, Mass.;
- Jordano Augusto Lima Guimaraes, 34, a Brazilian national residing in Salem, Mass.;
- Alessandro Felix Da Fonseca, 25, a Brazilian national residing in Revere, Mass.;