You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Northern District of Georgia

Monday, November 16, 2015

Lilburn Man Sentenced to Prison for Hoax Bomb Threat and Threatening a Federal Agent

ATLANTA - Maksim Mikhaiov Pikulev was sentenced to seven months in prison after pleading guilty to falsely reporting a plot to obtain bombs that would be detonated at a local Wal-Mart and threatening an FBI Special Agent.

“Law enforcement officers who serve and protect the citizens of this district should not be subjected to threats of violence,” said U.S. Attorney John Horn.  “Not only did Pikulev report a false bomb threat, which diverted critical law enforcement resources, but after the FBI agent investigating the matter discovered his claim was a hoax, Pikulev threatened to kill the agent.”

J. Britt Johnson, Special Agent in Charge,  FBI Atlanta Field Office, stated: “Today’s sentencing in federal court should make it very clear to Mr. Pikulev that the U.S. Government takes bomb threats and threats to its federal agents very seriously.  It is hoped that Mr. Pikulev will use his time in prison to reflect on his poor decisions that led to his criminal acts.”

According to United States Attorney Horn, the charges and other information presented in court: On October 17, 2014, Pikulev called Atlanta’s FBI office and falsely reported that two men asked him to build a bomb to blow up a local Wal-Mart.  During the investigation, Pikulev stated that he planned to deliver two bombs in his possession to the unknown males and to record the transaction for the FBI.  But when an FBI Agent requested to see the bombs, Pikulev refused.  The FBI eventually determined that the matter was a hoax. 

On December 7, 2014, Pikulev placed a call to the FBI office located in Washington DC.  During that recorded call, Pikulev said that he wanted to make a complaint against FBI-Atlanta agents.  Pikulev became agitated and angry during the call after he was told to call the Atlanta Division to make his complaint.  Pikulev refused to call the FBI Atlanta office and threatened to kill the FBI agent who investigated his bomb hoax.    

Pikulev, a/k/a Max, 30, of Lilburn, Ga., has been sentenced to seven months in prison to be followed by three years of supervised release.   Pikulev was convicted on these charges on August 14, 2015, after he pleaded guilty.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Assistant United States Attorney Tracia  M. King prosecuted the case.

For further information please contact the U.S. Attorney’s Public Affairs Office at or (404) 581-6016.  The Internet address for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia is

Updated November 19, 2015