Skip to main content
Press Release

Lilburn Resident Sentenced For Illegal Possession Of Firearms

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Georgia

ATLANTA - Kevin S. Lahey has been sentenced to serve seven years and three months in prison after pleading guilty to possessing seven firearms while being an unlawful user of controlled substances. 

“The significant sentence imposed by the Court serves as a warning that illegal possession of a firearm will be taken seriously by the United States,” said United States Attorney Sally Quillian Yates.  “Here, federal and local law enforcement agencies were able to work together to avert what could have been a tragedy by identifying and arresting Kevin Lahey before he could use his weapons to harm others in the community.”

“ATF’s involvement in securing this sentence is a prime example of the successful use of federal laws to confront, engage and eliminate criminal activity by staying on the frontline of preventing violent crime,”  said ATF Special Agent in Charge Christopher Shaefer.  “Criminals must understand that there are serious repercussions for the illegal possession of firearms and that ATF and our law enforcement partners will contribute all necessary time and effort to ensure criminals are brought to justice.”

According to United States Attorney Yates, the charges and other information presented in court: On February 6, 2013, a man, later identified as Lahey, stole two silencers from a Lawrenceville, Ga., firearms dealer.  Three days later, police in Snellville, Ga., arrested Lahey in connection with a shoplifting incident at Wal-Mart where he allegedly attempted to steal two laser sights, a rifle bi-pod stand, and a holster.  Lahey resisted arrest when officers attempted to take him into custody.  Officers report that, during that scuffle, Lahey dropped a loaded handgun.  After his arrest, Lahey was released on bond on February 10, 2013.  As a result of this shoplifting arrest, Snellville police were able to identify Lahey as the individual who stole the silencers on February 6, 2013, and they notified the ATF.

A short time later, an ATF task force officer obtained a warrant for Lahey’s arrest and a search warrant for his residence.  On February 25, 2013, officers and agents from both the ATF and the Gwinnett County Police Department executed the search warrant.  During that search, investigators found one of the stolen silencers attached to a .22 caliber pistol.  They later returned and found the second silencer in the crawlspace underneath the home of Lahey’s parents.  Neither silencer was registered to Lahey in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, as required by federal law.  Also during the search, investigators found multiple firearms - including three rifles and four handguns - in Lahey’s possession.  In addition to the firearms, agents seized over 10,000 rounds of ammunition, military-style and hunting knives, marijuana, bongs, drug pipes and other drug paraphernalia, and a body armor fragmentation protective vest. 

Lahey, 27, of Lilburn, Ga., has been sentenced to seven years, three months in prison to be followed by three years of supervised release.  He was indicted on federal firearms charges on May 21, 2013.  On December 2, 2013, Lahey pleaded guilty to the illegal possession of seven firearms while being an unlawful user of controlled substances.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Assistant United States Attorney Christopher J. Huber prosecuted the case.

For further information please contact the U.S. Attorney’s Public Affairs Office at or (404) 581-6016.  The Internet address for the home page for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia Atlanta Division is

Updated April 8, 2015