The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) of the Department of Transportation administers a number of railroad safety statutes which were previously contained in various sections of Titles 45 and 49, U.S.C., which provisions are now contained in numerous scattered sections of Title 49, U.S.C. These provisions include the following:
- The Safety Compliance Act (formerly 45 U.S.C. §§ 1-16);
- The Locomotive Inspection Act (formerly 45 U.S.C. §§ 22-34);
- The Accident Reports Act (formerly 45 U.S.C. §§ 38-43);
- The Hours of Service Act (formerly 45 U.S.C. §§ 61-64);
- The Signal Inspection Law (formerly 49 U.S.C. § 26);
- The Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (formerly 49 U.S.C. §§ 1801-1811).
Various portions of the above Acts contain both civil and criminal sanctions.
[cited in JM 9-76.310]