2015 Tribal Consultation


Registration | LodgingDocuments | Frequently Asked Questions

10th Annual Violence Against Women Tribal Consultation
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


Little Creek Resort
91 West State Route 108
Shelton, WA 98584

The consultation will take place from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on November 4, 2015 at the Little Creek Resort Hotel. The purpose of the violence against women government-to-government consultation is to solicit recommendations from tribal government leaders on the following three topics.

  • Enhancing the safety of American Indian and Alaska Native women from domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sex trafficking;
  • Strengthening the Federal response to the crimes of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking and sex trafficking; and
  • Administering grant funds appropriated for tribal governments and programs created to benefit tribal governments by the original Violence Against Women Act and subsequent legislation.

The Department of Justice will be joined by our colleagues from the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of the Interior.

Register for the 9th Annual Violence Against Women Government-to-Government Consultation at www.ovwconsultation.org.


Little Creek Resort
91 West State Route 108
Shelton, WA 98584

Hotel rooms are available at Little Creek Resort for a discounted rate of $83, plus tax. Please use booking code 1511UNITED to receive the discounted rate. For more details or questions, call Little Creek Resort at 360-432-7150. Note: While on the main page, leave the “Room Type” option blank. Once you click on “Check Availability,” room options are provided.



Materials are forthcoming.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will OVW offer travel assistance to tribal leaders who would like to attend the Consultation?
It is OVW's goal to accommodate as many tribal leaders and representatives as we possibly can at this year's Consultation. If your tribe currently receives grant funding from OVW, you may use your travel funding to pay for the cost of your travel to the Consultation. You may also use the funding to pay for the travel costs of up to two additional representatives from your tribe to attend as well.

Regrettably, OVW does not have funding to help defray the cost of attending the Consultation for tribal governments who do not currently receive OVW grant funding. Non-OVW grantees are welcome to attend the Consultation at their own expense.

How can tribes share their recommendations with OVW if they are unable to attend the Consultation?
OVW will accept written recommendations from tribal governments who are unable to attend the Consultation. Written comments may be submitted using first-class mail, email, or fax.

Office on Violence Against Women
United States Department of Justice
ATTN: Tribal Unit
145 N Street NE, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20530
Fax: (202) 305-2589
E-mail: lorraine.edmo@usdoj.gov

What do tribes need to do if they want to designate someone other than a tribal leader to represent the tribe at the Consultation?
OVW recognizes that your tribe may decide to authorize an individual who is not a tribal leader to offer testimony on its behalf at the Consultation. If your tribe elects to designate someone as its official representative, OVW is requesting that the individual who will be presenting testimony on behalf of your tribe be prepared to submit either a resolution from your tribal council or a letter from you on official letterhead which confirms their status as the official representative of your tribe.

Is this event open to members of the general public?
Participation in the Consultation is by invitation only. The leaders of each of the nation's 565 Federally recognized tribes have been invited to attend the Consultation. Registrations from non-tribal leaders will not be accepted unless the individual who is attempting to register has been authorized to attend the Consultation by a Federally-recognized tribe as evidenced by a letter on official tribal government letterhead signed by a tribal leader, or by a tribal council resolution.

Updated September 17, 2015

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No