Apple, Inc., Hachette Book Group, Inc., HarperCollins Publishers L.L.C., Verlagsgruppe Georg Von Holtzbrinck GmbH, Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC d/b/a Macmillan, the Penguin Group, a Division of Pearson PLC, Penguin Group (USA), Inc., and Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Index of Comments Regarding Settlement of Defendants Hachette, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster
The U.S. Department of Justice invited public comment regarding settlement of defendants Hachette Book Group, Inc., HarperCollins Publishers L.L.C., and Simon & Schuster, Inc. in the matter of U.S. v. Apple, Inc., et al. The comment period ended on June 25, 2012 and 868 timely public comments were received.*
Pursuant to 15 U.S.C. § 16, comments and responses were filed with the court, referenced in the Federal Register, and are published below. This page contains links to the United States' Response, the public comments, and related resources.
U.S. Response to Public Comments: Response of Plaintiff United States to Public Comments on the Proposed Final Judgment
- Case Page: U.S. v. Apple, Inc., et al.
- Federal Register Notice of Proposed Final Judgment: 77 Federal Register 79 (April 24, 2012), pp. 24518-24537
- Letter Request: Tunney Act Comments Electronic Posting (June 11, 2012)
- Public Comments: Public comments on the Proposed Final Judgment as to the Penguin Defendants
- Public Comments: Public comments regarding settlement of defendants Verlagsgruppe Georg Von Holtzbrink GmbH and Holtzbrink Publishers, LLC d/b/a Macmillan
You may download a compressed file that contains all the public comments posted on this website.
Comments in searchable PDF format
(97MB zipped, 105MB unzipped)
To download this file:
- Click the ATC-PDF.ZIP link.
- When your browser prompts you to save the file, select an existing directory or specify a new directory on your computer or network.
- After the file is downloaded, use the decompression program of your choice to decompress the .ZIP file.
Searchability of Comments
Every effort has been made to accurately reproduce the comments on this website. Some comments were converted into searchable PDF files using optical character recognition (OCR) technology and then tested for accuracy. Differences may exist between some original documents and the searchable PDF versions on this website.
* Among the 868 comments timely submitted were eighteen letters that are identical but for the individual signatures of the commenters. Those letters were consolidated under one comment number, ATC-0184.