Did this happen to you or someone you know?
- Has anyone hit, kicked, bit, slapped, or thrown things at you?
- Has anyone held or tied you down, or locked you in a room or building?
- Has anyone shaken, pinched, or burned you?
- Has anyone physically hurt you so that you suffered some injury, such as cuts, bruises, or other marks?
- Has anyone pushed, shoved, or grabbed you?
- Has anyone used a knife or gun on you?
- Has anyone not allowed you to go the bathroom?
- Has anyone given you too much or too little medication?
Warning signs of physical abuse include:
- Bruises, black eyes, welts, lacerations, or rope marks
- Bone fractures, broken bones, or skull fractures
- Open wounds, cuts, punctures, untreated injuries in various stages of healing
- Sprains, dislocations, or internal injuries/bleeding
- Broken eyeglasses/frames, physical signs of being subjected to punishment, or signs of being restrained
- Laboratory findings of medication overdose or under-utilization of prescribed drugs
- An elder's report of being hit, slapped, kicked, or mistreated
- An elder's sudden change in behavior
- The caregiver's refusal to allow visitors to see an elder alone