Skip to main content
Press Release

Member of Tulalip Tribes sentenced to nearly four years in prison for assault and robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Washington
Fled tribal police and crashed his car; injured another person with carjacking and crash

Seattle – A 32-year-old member of the Tulalip Tribes was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Seattle to 46 months in prison in connection with a carjacking during which he assaulted a driver who had tried to help him, announced U.S. Attorney Nick Brown. Michael J.D. Clark Jones, was arrested in February 2022, following a high-speed chase that left his girlfriend injured, and then he injured another person in the carjacking. In sentencing Jones to 46 months in prison and three years of supervised release, Judge John C. Coughenour said he was conscious of the “dangerous theft of the vehicle” and the concerns of the Tulalip Tribes.

According to records filed in the case, Jones fled from Tulalip Tribal Police at high speeds, ultimately crashing his car and leaving his girlfriend injured. Jones fled into the woods and ultimately came to the home of a woman on the Tulalip Indian Reservation. He told the woman he had been injured in a boating accident and asked her for a ride. The woman drove him a short distance to an intersection where she saw a tribal fish and wildlife truck. The woman started to get out of the car to get help from the fish and wildlife agents. Jones lunged at her and attempted to push her out of the car. The woman grabbed the door handle and steering wheel to keep from falling. Jones put the vehicle in drive and hit the gas pedal. The car accelerated across the road and hit an embankment. Jones hit the woman and tried to force her out of the moving car by punching her hand on the wheel. The door closed on the woman when it hit the embankment, and ultimately, she lost her grip and fell from the car. The force knocked the wind out of her, and she suffered back pain from the assault where Jones punched her in the shoulders, ribs, and chest.

Tribal police found the damaged car and located Jones at a home on the reservation where he was arrested. Jones told law enforcement he fled because he had just picked up 500 fentanyl pills.

In court today, Jones’ attorney said at the time of the crime Jones was “smoking 100 fentanyl pills a day.” Judge Coughenour commented that given that level of drug use, “It is amazing he is still alive.”

In asking for a 52-month sentence Assistant United States Attorney J. Tate London noted that the crime was “part of a pattern of endangering the lives of others,” and “showing little to no concern for the community.”

At a later hearing a Magistrate Judge will determine the amount of restitution Jones will pay to the victims in this case.

The case was investigated by the Tulalip Tribes Police Department with assistance from the FBI.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney J. Tate London. Mr. London serves as the Tribal Liaison for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District of Washington.


Press contact for the U.S. Attorney’s Office is Communications Director Emily Langlie at (206) 553-4110 or

Updated June 6, 2023

Violent Crime
Indian Country Law and Justice