Skip to main content

Washington State Crime Victim Compensation Program

If you are a victim of a violent crime, and you suffered physical or psychological injury, you may be eligible for assistance through the Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Program (CVCP). Overcoming the physical injuries and emotional pain of a violent crime takes time - and it is harder to do when you face financial worries as well. The Crime Victims Compensation Program helps victims with costs related to crime injuries.

Who can get help?

  • Victims injured in a violent crime in Washington State.
  • Survivors of a homicide victim.
  • Washington residents injured by an act of terrorism in a foreign country.

Am I eligible?

Benefits cannot be paid to someone:

  • Injured while participating in a felony.
  • Injured while confined in jail, prison or institutionalized.
  • Who incited, provoked or consented to the crime.
  • Who is unwilling to provide reasonable cooperation to law enforcement.

What benefits are available?

  • Payment of medical, dental and mental health counseling bills.
  • Partial payment of lost wages.
  • Partial payment of funeral costs.
  • Modification to homes and vehicles to accommodate permanent injuries.
  • Limited pension payment if the crime prevents you from returning to work permanently.
  • Limited pension payment to the spouse or child of a deceased victim.
  • Counseling for family members of sexual assault victims and homicide victims.

All benefits listed have maximum dollar limits set by law. Property losses are not covered.

What are the requirements of the program?

  • Notify law enforcement of the crime within one year or within one year of when a report could have reasonably been made.
  • CVCP must receive the application:

- Within two years of reporting the crime to law enforcement
- Within two years of your eighteenth birthday if you were a minor at the time of the crime.
- Within five years from reporting the crime to law enforcement with good cause.

  • You need to use benefits available from all other public and private insurance first.
  • You need to reimburse CVCP if you receive an insurance settlement or proceeds from a lawsuit based on the crime.

How do I apply?

Contact CVCP directly at (800) 762-3716 for an application, visit the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries website or contact the U.S. Attorney's Office Victim-Witness Program for assistance.

Other Compensation for Crime Victims

Many victims are interested in how they can be repaid for financial losses that they suffered as a result of a crime.  In the criminal justice system, victim compensation is called restitution.  The Mandatory Restitution Act of 1996 established procedures for determining the amount of restitution to which a victim may be entitled.  Under federal law for most types of crimes, it is mandatory that a defendant pay restitution for offenses committed on or after April 24, 1996.  For crimes committed before this date, judges have more discretion on whether or not to order restitution.  For more information contact the Victim-Witness Unit.

Updated July 21, 2023