Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a federal crime?


Where can I find a list of Federal Agencies and Elected Officials?


Does your office represent individual U.S. Citizens?

No, we do not represent individuals in matters or lawsuits that individuals may wish to bring against other persons, companies, or government agencies. The office represents the United States of America and its agencies, such as the U.S. Department of the Interior, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Defense, etc. The office also represents the United States in criminal matters filed against individual or corporate defendants who have committed federal crimes.

Can you recommend an attorney to represent me in a personal matter?

No, we cannot provide suggestions or recommendations in this regard. However, the Wyoming State Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service is a good resource. It provides information on finding an attorney in good standing in Wyoming who handles your particular type of litigation.

Is this office part of the Department of Justice under the U.S. Attorney General?

Yes, the United States Attorney’s Office is a component within the United States Department of Justice, which is headed by the United States Attorney General in Washington, D.C. This office is responsible for coordinating federal criminal investigations, undertaking federal prosecutions, and conducting civil litigation in the District of Wyoming to protect the interests of the United States.

Is this office the same as the State of Wyoming Attorney General?

No. The State of Wyoming Attorney General’s Office is responsible for state criminal investigations, appeals and civil litigation (among other things) in Wyoming.

I am having a problem with a local business. Can this office help or where can I obtain assistance?

We cannot provide legal advice to the public and do not represent individuals or local businesses. You may want to contact one of the following resources:

(1) Wyoming and Northern Colorado Better Business Bureau 

(2) State of Wyoming Attorney General  

(3) Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection 

How do I locate a defendant sentenced in a United States District Court?

Go to the United States Bureau of Prisons (BOP) website and click on the Inmates tab at the top of the page, then click on the dropdown menu that reads Find an Inmate. By typing in the prisoner’s name and other information, you can find out how long an inmate is serving, where the inmate is housed, their release date, and a brief description of the institution.

I am a victim or a witness of a federal crime in the District of Wyoming. What do I need to know?


Updated September 7, 2022