Policy and Strategy Section
The Policy and Strategy Section (POL) supports and coordinates the Civil Rights Division's broad policy work by developing and analyzing legislative, regulatory, and policy proposals relating to the Division's enforcement authorities. To do this work, the Section works closely with the Justice Department’s Office of Legislative Affairs and Office of Legal Policy.
POL also leads and coordinates cross-divisional and high-priority strategic initiatives within the Department and with other federal agencies. For example, the Section maintains strong relationships with civil rights programs in U.S. Attorneys’ Offices across the country and coordinates with the State Department on international human rights matters. POL also hosts convenings and prepares plain language documents and reports on the Division’s enforcement and policy efforts.
Civil Rights Division
Tel: (202) 307-6211
(TTY): (202) 514-0716
Initiatives and Efforts
The Hate Crimes Enforcement and Prevention Initiative coordinates the Justice Department’s efforts to combat hate crimes and hate incidents by facilitating education and outreach to law enforcement agencies and the general public.
The mission of the Servicemembers and Veterans Initiative is to strengthen and enhance the Justice Department’s efforts on behalf of servicemembers, veterans, and their families by coordinating and expanding our enforcement, outreach, and training.
In addition to enforcing laws that address religious discrimination and protect religious freedom, the Division conducts widespread outreach to faith-based organizations.
News and Reports
- Readout of Justice Department’s Interagency Convening on Advancing Equity in Artificial Intelligence
- Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke Delivers Opening Statement Before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Limited Government
- Readout of the Justice Department’s Servicemembers and Veterans Initiative Program Honoring the Life and Legacy of Sgt. Isaac Woodard
- Readout of Justice Department Leadership’s Meetings with Law Enforcement and Community Leaders
- Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke Delivers Remarks at the United Against Hate Virtual Forum
- Justice Department Hosts Forum to Highlight Efforts to Unite Communities and Strengthen Partnerships with Law Enforcement to Combat Hate
- Civil Rights Division at 65: A Report on Recent Cases and Highlights